We have four dimensions to our mission, to:
- develop and enrich worship;
- deepen and nurture people, of all ages, in the faith;
- discover opportunities that expand our existing fellowship and reach out to others in mission, evangelism and service;
- renew, and keep updated, our facilities to best serve the life of the church and the wider community in years to come.
Round and about our Church
We are located between Willow Tree Community Primary School and St Nicholas Road off Wetherby Road, and just around the corner from Fairfax Community Centre (fb) and St Nicholas Play Area. We are close to Harrogate District Hospital and the Harrogate Town Association Football Club‘s ground, and 15 minutes brisk walk south east of Harrogate town centre.
We have a large grassy area behind the church building that we use for outdoors activities, and are transforming into our Community Garden, to include a peaceful sensory garden.
Our Church’s interior has benefitted from several updates, so that we have a beautiful and modern main church, two halls (and a stage) offering kitchen/cafe access, satellite rooms (also upstairs) and church office. We have invested in airy and light access throughout the church building, with ample disabled access, so our community can enjoy the best of our facilities in all weathers.
Founded in 1964, we celebrated our 50th anniversary in 2014, and our history goes further back than this…
|Pre-1947||After meeting in each other’s houses, our first members began to meet at Nicholas House, Wetherby Lane.|
|1947||The Reverend J Yeoman Muckle started to lead services in Woodlands School (next door).|
|1948||The Members’ Society was founded the following year.|
|1950||We purchased the land for our first church for £740,|
|1952||and opened the doors to the first Woodlands Church two years later (the School Hall).|
|1954||With a Sunday School 300 strong, more space was needed. So we built the Middle Hall.|
|1964||With a growing congregation we needed a purpose-built Church, and the Church in its present form was opened in 1964.|
|2014||Our 50th anniversary celebrations coincide with completion of our Middle Hall renovations making all areas of our Church accessible for wheelchairs and protected from the elements.|
Fair use of streetview and map imagery is made with images retrieved using Google APIs.